I have recently been working with a beautiful, curly Schulte. It has been a real challenge for me to turn all those lovely curls into a recognisable teddy bear face. This is probably due to having working with straight alpaca for quite a while which is a breeze to scissor sculpt. The mohair does not have an obvious direction to the pile. It goes everyway possible!
I have really had to take a deep breath before cutting into this curly mohair. Too much brushing and it loses its lustre. Too little cutting and the face has no definition. I think that if I had tried using this mohair a year ago, the head would probably have ended up in a box of failures.
However, by wetting the muzzle fur and using a hairdrier I have managed to straighten the fur enough to scissor sculpt the muzzle, at the same time avoiding brushing the rest of the fur that I want to remain curly. He just needs a body now!