Thursday 3 May 2012

Last Goodbye

Yesterday, I drove down to Hampshire to scatter my father's ashes in the sea. Maureen, my Dad's second wife and I were able to fulfill my Dad's final wishes.  He had a great love of the sea, having served in the Royal Navy, and then the Submarine Service during WW2.  He spent many years sailing during his long retirement.  Dad was a one-off and much loved. I miss him terribly.  I took a small posy of forget-me-nots and bluebells to scatter on the sea.





Eternal Father, strong to save,
Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,
Who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep
Its own appointed limits keep;
Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea!
O Christ! Whose voice the waters heard
And hushed their raging at Thy word,
Who walkedst on the foaming deep,
And calm amidst its rage didst sleep;
Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea!
Most Holy Spirit! Who didst brood
Upon the chaos dark and rude,
And bid its angry tumult cease,
And give, for wild confusion, peace;
Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea!
O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go;
Thus evermore shall rise to Thee
Glad hymns of praise from land and sea.

10 comments:

  1. memories and love are eternity especially derived from parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, what a great way to carry out his last wishes. My grandad, an awkward old sod, demanded to be scattered all over the place, I think in about 7 different locations o.O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to see Maureen again and to give Dad the send off he wanted. My Mum died a few years ago. She asked to have her ashes scattered on Dartmoor. I was happy to be able to do that for her, too.

      Delete
  3. What a memorable thing to do. There will be always a little place in your heart for him.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was really beautiful, Sue. I'm glad you got to do someting so special that would have meant a lot to your dad. Your touching tribute and the hymn brought tears to my eyes. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debora

      It is a hymn I always find incredibly moving, too.

      Delete
  5. How wonderful that you and Maureen were able to carry out your Dad's last wishes together and what a lovely idea to scatter the forget me nots and bluebells, as well. God's Blessings for those who mourn. xoxo, Janice

    ReplyDelete